If you have ever seen the Ratatouille movie and can’t help but crave for the signature vegetable stew, let’s join us to remake the scene with our simple recipe!
Ratatouille is a rustic dish of the Provence countryside in France, originating in the Nice city. This traditional dish is the crystallization of many vegetables together that provides many health benefits. Not only being ubiquitous and appearing in every French house, Ratatouille gradually gained reputation and became a signature vegan dish at several fine-dining restaurants in France.
Annam Gourmet provides you the freshest farm-to-table veggies to prepare this home-cooked recipe and enjoy this prominent Ratatouille dish like a professional French food critic.
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup yellow potato (165 g), peeled, cut into 1/4 in (6 mm) thick rounds
1/2 pounds Zucchini Baby (3 to 4 medium squash), large dice
1 cup loosely packed Baby Spinach, sliced
1 large Jalapeño bell pepper, large dice
1 Perilla Leaf
2 bunches Baby Broccoli (about 1 pound total)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 pound tomatoes (3 to 4 medium), large dice
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- Begin with cooking potatoes in a pot with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper pot over medium-high heat until shimmering to release moisture and soak up flavor.
- Then set the potatoes aside to give the Zucchini Baby, Jalapeño bell pepper, baby broccoli, onion, and garlic until browned in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Next, we reduce the heat to medium and add the potatoes back in along with a duo of herby goodness: fresh basil and Perilla leaf. Additional salt and pepper provide even more flavor, while optional red pepper flakes add subtle heat and thyme provides more herbal notes.
- With tomato ingredients, we grate the tomatoes (or blitz them in the food processor) and cook them with onion and garlic to make an irresistible sauce!
- Cover the pan with foil and cook for 10 minutes, the vegetables become softened and melt-in-your-mouth tender.
- And lastly, we like to drizzle the ratatouille with more olive oil for richness.